Friday, April 10, 2009

Arrivederci, Officer Koharski


One note I did not make in my Caps recap from last night was that it was the last game for referee Don Koharski. Even non-hockey fans will probably recognize the name Koharski, which really is not good if you're a referee. I can't really say things any better than OFB did in this post from a while back but for what it's worth (not much) I will share three Koharski memories of my own.

1) His infamous blowup with then-New Jersey Devils coach Jim Schoenfeld in the 1988 Wales Conference Finals. This included the line that immortalized Koharski forever, delivered by Schoenfeld, "Have another donut you fat pig!"


2) I give Mike Myers a pass for making "The Love Guru" for one reason: making the ultimate insider hockey reference in a mainstream movie when he gave a donut-eating cop the name Officer Koharski in "Wayne's World." It was like a subliminal message that only hockey fans could pick up. When I watch "Wayne's World" now (the movie is horribly dated these days), I laugh hardest at two parts: the Officer Koharski references and Ed O' Neill's cameo...


3) My ultimate memory of Koharski? This line brawl between the Caps and Flyers in 1990.

While 5 separate fights are going on, Koharski is standing over the goal and taking notes (at about 2:10 of the clip). He's like a hockey Doestoevsky here. That may be the ever lasting memory of Koharski. Standing there, oblivious to the chaos his shoddy officiating has unleashed. Arrivederci, auf wiedershien and goodbye Officer Koharski.

No comments:

Post a Comment