Monday, March 9, 2009

America The Bipolar- II

While I loathe my cable service provider, Mediacom, I do like two things about having them. 1) I get Comcast Sportsnet so I have access to all the Caps games, something my bretheren who have Easton Cable do not and 2) I get the endless supply of Encore/Starz movie channels. This is awesome because, with so many channels, they have to fill the time with some often bizarre programming choices. For instance, on any given night you could catch "Superbad" on one channel, one of the "Pirates Of The Carribean" movies on another and "The Running Man" on another. Hell, they've pretty much made my day recently with their Thursday night James Bond triple feature. But then sometimes you have back-to-back movies like the one we have tonight on Encore Mystery...


Hmm, "Pure Luck"...


and "2001: A Space Odyssey"


Yes, schizo America rears its ugly head again. As the warm-up act for "2001: A Space Odyssey," a film so good it made the Library of Congress' list of films deemed "historically or culturally significant" we have the 1991 Martin Short/Danny Glover blockbuster "Pure Luck," a movie so insignificant that when you Google it, the film is not the first thing that comes up. I wonder how us people over the age of 29 can tell anybody younger than us that someone as unfunny as Martin Short has been since, oh I don't know, 1986, was opening movies well into the 90s?

No comments:

Post a Comment